VISION AND VALUES
Lighting has many important influencing factors in our living environments. The multiplication of uses, the emergence of new approaches in lighting, the impacts of artificial light on the environment and health, the diversification of applications and milieux of implantation, and the emergence of new technologies are all elements to consider when we are looking to improve the quality of our lived in environments.
In this context, the need to understand the interactions of light with users becomes essential. The creation of a Research Pole offers an opportunity to question the approaches and issues of light, to review practices and to create exchanges between professionals, institutions and users. It is an opportunity to explore new avenues, to consider the various possibilities offered by the medium of light and to find solutions to new challenges that arise.
In a context of renewal of thought and practices in lighting, the mission of the research center is to integrate the complexity and diversity of the issues (social, economic, political, environmental, sanitary, aesthetic, etc.) to improve the quality of interventions. The objective is to promote exchanges by creating a real platform between the actors, and to be a place of exploration and experimentation in the industry.
– Surveys of professionals and users
– Diagnostics, readings and status reports on the quality of lit environments
– Development of strategic visions and management tools
– Creation of professional tools (charters, guides of good practices)
– Organization of public consultations and participatory projects
– Coordination of stakeholers in the framework of collaborative projects
– Laboratory of experimentation and realization of tests on site (partnership with institutions, cities)
– Creation and exploration of the medium of light through luminous works and sculptures, furniture and lighting support
– Participation and organization of competitions and workshops
– Diffusion and transfer of knowledge (training, conference, publication)
– Ensure a watch at the research level
THREE (3) RESEARCH CENTER AXES
The research pole is broken down into three axes
that go from research to practice.
At the scale of interior spaces, architecture, city or landscape, light is part of our daily lives. Studying the impact of light on our living environments enables us to improve the quality of design spaces during the day as during the night. This approach proposes to investigate on vision and perception of spaces, on stakeholders’ concerns, on users’ experience, and on the relationship of light with architecture, the city and the landscape.
The understanding of light as a phenomenon comes with understanding real situations. Through participatory development of a laboratory of creation and experimentation makes it possible to carry out tests in real environment, innovating solutions for light ergonomy and to develop new technologies to answer emerging needs.
Knowledge and know-how must be invested in questioning and changing practices to meet the new challenges of light. Improvement of practices involves the creation of professional tools such as charters or guides, which can help anyone who is near or far concerned with lighting, lit environments and human well-being.